How to Make Homemade Orange Peel Oil | Food Science | Orange peel contains volatile oils with various chemical components such as terpenes, sesquiterpenes, aldehydes, esters and sterol 3. Details of orange peel oil chemicals composition are as follows:
|Neral Acetaldehyde|| |
Orange peel oil can be used as a flavor of the beverage products, cosmetics, and sanitary. The price of citrus oil extracts are relatively expensive.
Orange peel oil extraction process can be done with a simple method by using simple and unexpensive equipments.
Things You'll Need:
- Orange peel
- 5% NaHCO3 solution
- Anhydrous Na2SO4
- This tool is used to chop the orange peel. The simplest tool is a knife and cutting board. For large capacity, it should to use a chopper machine.
- Squeezer for orange peel.
- This tool is used to squeeze the orange peel so that the water contained go down. There are two types of tools that can be used, which is threaded and bleeder hydraulic squeezer.
- This tool is used to separate water and oil fractions of the orange peel extract.
- Decantation Bottle.
- This tool is used for decantation, the separation of oil and water fractions in the emulsion.
- Softening. Clean orange peel thoroughly, then soaked in a solution of NaHCO3 3% for 10-14 hours. Each kg of orange peel soaked with 1 liter of solution of NaHCO3.
- Chopping. After soaking, chop the orange peel to size 0.3 to 0.5 cm.
- Wrap orange peel that has been chopped with thick calico fabric, then squeeze with a screw or hydraulic pressing tool. At first press it at pressure of 200 kg per cm2, then increase the pressure gradually to 400 kg per cm2. During the extortion, spray with cold water. Do the extortion twice. The yield obtained in the form of oil in water emulsion called oil emulsion.
- Fill emulsion into decantation bottle (the fraction of water and oil emulsion separator). Then store the emulsion in a refrigerator (4 - 7 oC) for 10-24 hours. Remove the fraction of water that is at the bottom . Disposal is as follows. Open the inlet channel, then open the outlet faucet to let all the fractions of water flowing out.
- Transfer the fraction of oil left in the decantation bottle into centrifuge bottle. Then centrifuge at a speed of 4000-6000 rpm for 15 minutes. The remaining fraction of water will be at the bottom of the fluid in a centrifuge bottle, and the oil fraction is at the top. Oil fraction is referred to as orange peel oil.
- Water Binding
- Add anhydrous Na2SO4 into orange peel oil, then stir. Each liter of oil was add with 1-3 g of anhydrous Na2SO4. Then filter the oil to separate from Na2SO4 . The adding of Na2SO4 is intended to bind the water that can not be separated by decantation and centrifugation.
- Store the orange peel oil in a dark colored glass bottle, close tightly and place it in a cool room.