Macaroni with cheese is an American classic and a true delight that is not too difficult to make yourself at home. This recipe yields for about four servings.
- 1 / 2 pound penne pasta
- 1 / 2 cup butter
- 3 c. soup. fresh chopped onion
- 1 / 2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1 / 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1 / 2 cups milk
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 / 3 cup bread crumbs
- Baking dishes
- Cheese grater
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring cups
- Wooden spoons
How to Make Homemade Macaroni with Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a pot and boil the pasta in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and reserve.
- At the same time, melt 1 / 3 cup butter in a saucepan over low heat and add the onion. Cook for two minutes.
- Add the white pepper and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes. Do not let the flour brown, lower the heat if it is not.
- Add the mustard and milk and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken. It must be very thick but not sticky. Add more milk if too thick.
- When sauce has simmered for at least 10 minutes, add Cheddar and Gruyere cheese and half the Parmesan.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheese Stir because they are based. Return pan to low heat if necessary.
- Working quickly, stir the pasta into cheese sauce. Mix well until the sauce gets inside the tubes of pasta.
- Put the dough 11-14 inch glass or ceramic dish.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Melt the remaining butter, mix with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this mixture on top of the dough.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and toast