milk but not as heavy as cream. The process of making processed, or cultured, milk buttermilk is similar to that of yogurt. Lactobaccillus is added to whole milk and allowed to ferment for 12 to 14 hours at low temperature. Salt and butter flecks may be added to the final product for flavor and texture. But it is possible to make a buttermilk substitute at home.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice
- Pour milk into a 1-cup measuring cup
- Add 1 tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice
- Let the mixture stand for five minutes
- Use in the recipe of your choice