Soy sauce (ketchup) is a liquid food seasoning, has a blackish brown color, distinctive flavor and aroma. Below I will explain how to make the soy sauce. Firstly you have to prepare the raw materials and equipments that needed, and the production process is following.
Raw Materials (Ingredients):
- 1 kg Soybean (white or black)
- 3 grams yeast
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass cutted
- 1 piece lime leaves
- ¼ galangal
- 1 tsp Pokak (Star anise, Illicium verum)
- 6 kgs brown sugar
- 1 ½ liter water (to dissolve the brown sugar)
- 800 grams salt to 4 liters of water
- Winnowing (nyiru)
- Straining cloth
- Stirrer spoon
- Bottles (have been sterilized)
Soy Sauce Production Process Flow Chart
- Rinse soybeans and soak in 3 liters of water during one night. Then boiled until the skin of soybean becomes soft, then drain on a winnowing tray and chill
- Put yeast into cooled soybeans. Stir until blended and store at room temperature (25 o ~ 30 ° C) for 3 ~ 5 days;
- After soybean covered by white mold evenly, add the salt solution. Place in a container and leave for 3-4 weeks at room temperature (25 o ~ 30 ° C). The maximum limit of salting process is two months;
- Pour clean water immediately, cook until boiling and then filtered.
- Put filtered soy into pot, add sugar and spices. This seasoning (except bay leaves, lime leaves and lemongrass) roasted first and then finely ground and mix until blended.
- Sweet Soy sauce: every 1 liter of filtrate requires 2 kg of brown sugar
- Salty Soy sauce: every 1 liter of filtrate takes 2 ½ ounces brown sugar
- In the case to prevent the failure of fermentation, the yeast that added should match with the total weight of soy used.
- Once boiled and drained, soybeans should be fully cooled. If not, the fungi (yeast) that were scattered on it will die.