- 5 kgs Soybean
- 1 gram Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4)
- Large bucket
- Winnowing stuff
- Filtering cloth
- Mixing cloth
- Bamboo shelf
- Furnace or stove
- Prepare soybean and wash.
- Soak it in water for 8 hours (at least 3 liters of water for 1 kg of soybean). Soybeans will inflate when it is soaked;
- When it's done, wash soybean several times. If the soybean was not too clean, the results the tofu produced will quickly become acid;
- Crush soybeans, while add warm water little by little until the porridge is formed;
- Cook the porridge at 70 ~ 80 oC, keep to not jell (the indicator is the presence of small bubbles);
- Filter the soy porridge and precipitate the rest of water using 1 gramof Calcium Sulfate (CaSO4) or 3 ml of vinegar to 1 quart soy milk, stir slowly.
- Mold and press the sediment.
Soy Tofu Processing Flow chart
- The cooking is highly influenced by temperature.
- Cooking aims to:
- Eliminates the odor of soy.
- Filtering has better yields.
- Note: the heating also influence protein content. The effect of heating can cause damage to proteins, so it must be done with caution.
- Milling with cold water causes the odor of soy can not dissapear, so the soy tofu produced is less preferred.